George H.W Bush had been admitted to a hospital over the weekend due to breathing problems. Reports from AP show that his condition may have deteriorated since he has been moved to the intensive care unit of a Houston hospital. The former First Lady Barbara Bush is also in the hospital. Reports claim that the former president was taken to the hospital due to shortness of breath.
In a statement made by McGrath, the 92-year-old Bush is responding well to treatments. Reports from his office also state that Bush was treated for an acute respiratory problem that stems from pneumonia. However, reports from his office also said that doctors had performed a procedure to protect and clear his airway that required sedation and as a result, he was stable and resting comfortably.
McGrath also said that doctors and everyone was very pleased and they all hope to have him out very soon. In a report issued by Jean Becker, who is Bush’s chief of staff, Bush will be released in a few days. The Former First Lady Barbara Bush was also admitted as a precaution on Wednesday for coughing and fatigue.
The Former President Bush served as U.S. President from 1989 to 1993, he has a form of Parkinson’s disease and he uses a motorized scooter or a wheelchair for mobility purposes.
Back in 2015, he was hospitalized in Maine after falling at his summer home an incident that caused him to break his neck bone, he was also hospitalized in Houston the previous December for about a week for shortness of breath. In 2012, he spent his Christmas in the ICU for a bronchitis-related cough and other issues. However, he celebrated his 90th birthday by making a tandem parachute jump in Kennebunkport, Maine. Three days after his 92nd birthday celebration, he led a group of 40 wounded warriors last summer on a fishing trip at the helm of his speedboat.
In a note that was written to President-elect Donald Trump, the elder Bush explained why he won’t attend the inauguration on Friday, adding that his doctor told him that sitting outside in January will put him in the grave. His letter was posted on twitter by his spokesman Jim McGrath.