In a shocking new development, the Argentine navy says an event consistent with an explosion has been picked up near where a submarine disappeared last week with 44 crew on board.
As we’ve informed you, an Argentinean submarine has now been missing for more than a week. <a href="http://thegoldwater.com/news/12436-Missing-Argentina-Submarine-Could-Be-Out-Of-Oxygen-By-Wednesday "> The 44 crew aboard the ARA San Juan submarine vanished together with the vessel after reporting a small fire which is believed to have taken out the submarine’s communications</a>.
According to a navy spokesman, Mr Enrique Balbi, there was an "abnormal, singular, short, violent, non-nuclear event" in the south Atlantic.
Captain Balbi states that the navy only knew the location of the suspected explosion, but not its cause. He also confirmed that according to last calculations, the oxygen would be running out on board the vessel by now.
One crew member's sister admitted: "I feel like I'm waiting for a corpse."
Currently, over 14 countries, including Russia and the US, have sent assistance to search for the missing submarine and its crew of 44.
Brazil, Chile, Colombia, France, Germany, Peru, South Africa, Uruguay and the UK are among the countries that have sent either ships or planes to help with the search.
The US navy meanwhile deployed two underwater vehicles which use sonar to create images of the sea floor as well as a Nasa research aircraft which was flying over the search area (it failed to spot anything though).
The families' hopes were momentarily raised earlier this week when the US Navy search plane said it detected an object in the water near where the submarine disappeared, but a spokeswoman for the US embassy in Argentina later confirmed the object was not connected to the ARA San Juan search.