After the FBI admitted failure to investigate a tip, Florida governor Rick Scott called on its director to resign Friday. "The FBI's failure to take action against this killer is unacceptable," Scott said.
"The FBI has admitted that they were contacted last month by a person who called to inform them of Cruz's 'desire to kill people,' and 'the potential of him conducting a school shooting'."
"Seventeen innocent people are dead and acknowledging a mistake isn't going to cut it. An apology will never bring these 17 Floridians back to life or comfort the families who are in pain. The families will spend a lifetime wondering how this could happen, and an apology will never give them the answers they desperately need."
The shooter was a former student at the high school named Nikolas Cruz, 19, and he is facing 17 counts of murder in connection with the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
A statement released Friday confirmed that a person close to Cruz called in a tip on January 5 and provided information about Cruz's guns, desire to kill people, erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts.
Robert Lasky, FBI Special Agent in Charge of the Miami field office, said Thursday, "The comment simply said, 'I'm going to be a professional school shooter'. No other information was included with that comment, which would indicate a time, location or true identity of the person who made that comment."
Related coverage: <a href="http://thegoldwater.com/news/18485-Nikolas-Cruz-Grim-Details-Emerge-About-Shooter">Nikolas Cruz - Grim Details Emerge About Shooter</a>
<a href="http://www.thegoldwater.com/news/18528-Florida-Nikolas-Cruz-Confesses-Shooting">Florida - Nikolas Cruz Confesses Shooting</a>
Tips? Info? Send me a message!