France - New Hair Coloring Products Warning As Girl’s Reaction Goes Viral (Video)
19-year-old student Estelle went viral this week after she showed what had happened when she tried coloring her hair. The girl from Vitry, France placed the pictures of her frightening metamorphosis on the internet, and millions of French girls saw what happened.
The producer of the (French) product forbid their logo from showing in the pictures and video since.
Just coloring her hair before she would go out, Estelle thought. She didn’t know that her life would hang from a thread two days later. Due to an allergic reaction, her head became completely deformed. "I want to warn others about this, do not do like me", she says now.
The 19-year-old student from Vitry posted photos of her terrifying metamorphosis on Facebook. The culprit was PPD, a particularly allergenic dye that can be found in 90 percent of hair dyes.
Estelle had already had an allergic reaction, which is why she tested the product on her skin beforehand. However, she waited only thirty minutes, instead of the 48 hours that the instructions prescribe.
"Who can read that?"
"That was a stupid of me. Hence my call, please do not fall into the same trap," she advises other girls. Her mother thinks the warning should be more clear on the packaging. "Look at that small print, who can read that? But it can have catastrophic consequences," says mother Sygrid.
On November 16, Estelle decided to turn herself from a blonde into a brunette. A few hours later, however, she was itching and the top of her head started to swell. The pharmacist on duty gave her a soothing cream and a remedy for allergic reactions.
From bad to worse
But the situation went from bad to worse. "Two days later my head looked like a light bulb," says Estelle.
Mother Sygrid then brought her daughter to the emergency room. There they only knew the problem too well. After a treatment with corticosteroids and antihistamines, the girl was allowed to return home.
Estelle, 19 ans, a failli mourir après avoir appliqué une coloration pour cheveux achetée en supermarché.
Elle dénonce le #PPD, une substance hautement allergène utilisée dans 90% des teintures, ainsi que les mises en garde écrites en petits caractères. pic.twitter.com/5lWa6gB772
To give you an idea of the seriousness of the problem: the circumference of her head had actually grown from 56 to 63 centimeters. "We drove to the emergency department again soon after, and they assured us that the situation would improve," says mother Sygrid.
"Problems with PPD are not new", explains dermatologist Catherine Oliveres-Ghouti. "2 to 3 percent of the population is allergic to it. Every year I see about fifteen patients whom are full of rashes and because of a swollen head look totally deformed. Hairdressers of course have the most problems. If they become allergic, there is no other option than to start a new profession. "
But PPD is also used in dark clothes, such as jeans and henna tattoos. "We have already warned a lot about it. Forbidding the product makes no sense, because then all dark hair dye should be removed from the store shelves. But the consumer needs to know what he is doing. Do not use hair dye if you have not tested it on your skin for 48 hours before. "
For Estelle the worst is now behind us. But a hair new color? No, that is no longer necessary. "I almost died, it was enough."